Sunday, March 15, 2009

My first shared recipe.

I figured since I cook and/or bake almost every day, I will use my new found blog to also share recipes with you. This is my first attempt at photographing food in my kitchen. The pictures came out a little blurry but I promise they will be much better next time.

I generally eyeball everything when I'm cooking. Most of you probably go by standard measuring systems and a "pinch" of this or a "handful" of that will just make things confusing so I will try to use a language that makes sense.

Here goes:

Pan Fried Tilapia w/ Peach-Shallot Relish, Brown Rice and Spinach Salad
Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 1 hr. Serves 2


10 oz Tilapia fillets (my package had 4 but they were on the smaller side)
1/2 c. brown rice (if you use quick cook or boil-in-bag, it cuts the cook time to 15 min!!)
1 3/4 c. low sodium vegetable or chicken stock (water is ok if you don't have stock)
Peach-Shallot Relish (recipe follows)
2 c. baby spinach - washed and dried well
2 tbs. dried cranberries or cherries
2 tbs. slivered almonds
2 tbs. goat cheese - crumbled
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. Put brown rice and stock into the rice cooker and press cook. If you don't have the luxury of having a rice cooker, put the rice and the stock in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it just comes to a boil. Put a tight fitting lid on the pan and lower the heat to simmer. Cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is evaporated - about 50-60 min.

2. Prepare the Peach-Shallot Relish (recipe follows) and refrigerate.

3. After about 50 minutes, your rice will be nearing completion. It's time to cook the fish. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium- high heat.

4. Make sure to season both sides of the fish and then add them to the oil in the pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes on each side.

5. Prepare the salad by combining the spinach, cranberries, almonds and goat cheese in a bowl. Drizzle with red wine vinegar and olive oil. Toss to combine.

6. Begin plating by placing 1 c. of cooked brown rice down first, then 5 oz. of fish and top with 1/4 c. of Peach-Shallot Relish. Serve with spinach salad.

Peach-Shallot Relish

2 small peaches - diced (use fresh if you've got em!)
1 large shallot - minced
1 medium jalapeno - ribs and seeds removed, minced
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp chopped cilantro
pinch of kosher salt



1. Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes to let the flavors combine. Best served with fish or chicken.

Try it out!! If you like half as much as my boyfriend, you might have to double the recipe. Feel free to leave me any comments or suggestions.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment