Tuesday, March 24, 2009

disaster.

I have run into a string of bad luck. The last two desserts I have created did not quite work out as planned. The first was a frozen yogurt type dessert that came out too tart. The second was an attempt at vegan brownies. While I have, quite successfully, made dozens of vegan cupcakes, this was a giant failure. I am sure that the problem was substitutions, since baking is not nearly as forgiving as cooking. This particular recipe called for black cherry preserves and plain soy yogurt. I did not have either so used strawberry preserves and strawberry yogurt instead. I accidently put too much preserves in so I decided to pull back on the sugar going from 3/4 c. to 2/3 c. Apparently it does make quite a difference. I also ran out of canola oil, so I used olive oil to compensate but didn't measure. In the end what I got was a nice chewy top, like the corners of brownies baked in a square pan and a crumbly inside. The strawberry with the chocolate turned out well but the texture just wasn't right.

And the lesson of this experiment is:

ALWAYS measure when baking!!

p.s. i will post the disasterous photos as soon as I get some good light.

No comments:

Post a Comment